An ACORN Event

The Ethical Meat Workshop Series

Date(s) December 7 & 8 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Location

Nova Scotia Community College, Akerley Campus, 21 Woodlawn Rd, Dartmouth, NS, B2W 2R6.

The Ethical Meat Workshop Series

Discover why educated use of the full animal is the most cost-effective, sustainable and ethical way to raise and process meat! 

In partnership with Perennia and the Nova Scotia Community College, ACORN presents:

The Ethical Meat Workshop Series
Ethical Beef & The Profitable Cattle Farm
Ethical Pork & The Profitable Hog Farm
Presented by Meredith Leigh, author of The Ethical Meat Handbook

Location for both events: Sobeys Lecture Theatre, Nova Scotia Community College, Akerley Campus, 21 Woodlawn Rd, Dartmouth, NS, B2W 2R6.
Cost: $60/day for ACORN Members or Two-day Combo Package for $95. Lunch(es) included in price FOR ACORN MEMBERS!
$75/day for Non-Members or Two-day Combo Package for $125 (lunch not included).

Join our Facebook event here. The deadline to register online is Friday December 4th at 12pm (AST). If you have missed the deadline but would like to attend, please email lucia[@]acornorganic[.]org. 

Carpool!  Travel subsidies are available those bringing 3 NS Farmers/Processors or more.

Day One: Ethical Beef & The Profitable Cattle Farm
Date & Time: December 7th, 9am-4pm (with one-hour lunch break)

Event Description + Bio:
Learn from Meredith Leigh, author of The Ethical Meat Handbook, as she walks through the process of raising and selling organic beef. At this workshop you will learn all about the reasons and considerations in raising organic beef, along with management strategies, from breed selection to grazing and herd health. Meredith will also detail strategies in processing and maximizing the value of the carcass with marketing opportunities to consider as you grow your farm enterprise and establish new clients.


Day Two: Ethical Pork & The Profitable Hog Farm
Date & Time: December 8th, 9am-4pm (with one-hour lunch break)

Learn from Meredith Leigh, author of The Ethical Meat Handbook, as she walks through the process of raising and selling organic pork. Meredith will explain the reasons for pasture-raising organic pigs, production considerations (breed selection, feeding, stocking, health), and will present ideas on how to integrate pastured pigs into existing enterprises, while boosting business profitability.  Meredith will also detail strategies in processing and maximizing the value of the carcass with considerations on different marketing opportunities.

Bio:
Over the past thirteen years, Meredith Leigh has worked as a farmer, chef, teacher, non-profit executive director, and writer, all in pursuit of sustainable food. She has developed a farmers cooperative, catalyzed non-profit farm ventures, raised vegetables, flowers, and pastured meats, owned and managed a retail butcher shop, and more. Currently, Meredith spends some of her time teaching, handling sheep and hogs, cooking, and doing outreach at Living Web Farms, a non-profit education and research farm in Mills River, NC. She is a mother to two boys, many plants and fermentation projects, and lives in Asheville, NC, USA. For more information, please visit http://www.mereleighfood.com/.

Accommodations:  There are a variety of nice and affordable hotels, hostels and bed and breakfasts around Akerley Campus. Be sure to check availability here.
Check out options through Air BNB Dartmouth here.

Good luck with your accommodations and see you soon!

ACORN's Cancellation Policy - All notice of cancellations must be received in writing in advance of Thursday December 3rd at 5pm and 75% of registration fees will be refunded, with the remaining 25% to support ACORN's administrative management. Cancellations received after this date will not be refunded. Substitutions received in writing from the registered participant will be accepted. Cancellations and substitutions should be forwarded to lucia@acornorganic.org.