An ACORN Event

FarmHack: Tools and Innovations for the Small-Scale Farmer

Date(s) October 26, 2015 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Location

Salon C (next to the Cafeteria), Nova Scotia Community College, Truro Campus, 36 Arthur St., Truro, NS. B2N 1X5

FarmHack: Tools and Innovations for the Small-Scale Farmer

ACORN & The Grow A Farmer Learning Series presents:

FarmHack: Tools and Innovations for the Small-Scale Farmer
Presented by Dorn Cox, PhD

Date & Time: Monday October 26th, 10am-4pm.
Location: Salon C (next to the Cafeteria), Nova Scotia Community College, Truro Campus, 36 Arthur St., Truro, NS., B2N 1X5 See here for a map.
Cost:  $25 for ACORN Members or $40 for Non-Members

FarmHack represents a worldwide community of farmers that build and modify their own tools and innovations. Oftentimes this results in the development of an inventive physical implement that addresses an on-farm problem or inefficiency. This is accomplished by hosting events that welcome a wide variety of participants including farmers, designers, engineers, architects, artists, and any others seeking to support sustainable agriculture through creative processes.  Then “hacks” are shared online at farmhack.org and at in-person gatherings.

In turn, FarmHack makes it possible for these affordable, community-designed inventions to be shared with others through their online Tools Wiki, giving farmers “the opportunity to support and improve upon one another’s ideas, across geographic boundaries” (FarmHack website)

Join Dorn Cox, founding member of FarmHack as he explains the FarmHack network and ways to apply and benefit from FarmHack’s open-source and cost-saving resources for your farm and community.  From DIY root washers to pedal-powered tractors, the FarmHack platform serves to provide farmers and other tradespeople with inspiration and tangible examples of ways to develop farm innovations and thus create more resilient and sustainable agriculture and food systems.

The afternoon session will involve a participatory design and feedback process where participants will work together to identity three primary “problem statements” commonly faced on regional farm operations for specific agricultural tasks (i.e. seeding; bed preparation; post-harvest handling) and will reflect on strategies, materials, and existing examples to employ solutions.

Dorn Cox is a founding member of the Farm Hack community (farmhack.org), and executive director for GreenStart, and a farmer working his 250-acre a multigenerational family farm in Lee, New Hampshire with his wife, Sarah, and two boys.  His participatory research focuses on collaborative open source research and development for regenerative agricultural systems. He is a co-founder of the FarmOS software platform and he has developed and shared systems for small-scale grain and oil seeds processing, biofuel production,  no-till and low-till equipment and cover crop systems to increase carbon capture and soil health. Dorn is also a founding member of the New England Farmers' Union, the Great Bay Grain Cooperative, and the Oyster River Biofuel Initiative.  He has a B.S. from Cornell University and a PhD from the University of New Hampshire in Natural Resources and Earth Systems Science.

Join the Facebook event here

Please note that travel subsidies are available to those bringing 3 farmers or more! Lunch is not provided but the NSCC Cafeteria will be accessible for food purchase. 

*Please note ACORN's Cancellation Policy - All notice of cancellations must be received in writing in advance of Thursday October 22nd at 5pm and 75% of registration fees will be refunded, with the remaining 25% to support ACORN's administrative management. Cancellations received after this date will not be refunded. Substitutions received in writing from the registered participant will be accepted. Cancellations and substitutions should be forwarded to lucia@acornorganic.org.